The Nelsons

Rob.Melanie.Clark.Kurt Nelson

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grandpa Ray




Sweet Grandpa Ray passed away last night at the age of 92. He lived a full life and left an amazing example to live up to. Ill cherish all the memories I have with my grandpa. Through jr. High, he paid for several of the grandkids, who were interested, to take tennis lessons in his backyard (a game he loved and played into his eighties). After lessons, we would go into the house and eat breakfast with my grandpa. Breakfast was always the same, grandpa's pancakes, hostess crumb doughnuts (from the hostess store around the corner), and my favorite, icy/frozen milk from the freezer. Every time I saw grandpa, he always hugged me, gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me he loved me and that he was proud of me. I am so glad I got to sit down and introduce him to Kurt 2 weeks ago. I just so happened to have my camera in the car and was able to get a picture with him and my family one last time. In one of the pictures he grabbed my hand and held it. He told Rob and I, "well you have a good start here. I had two once..." He was making me smile right and left with his little comments. At 92 he was still reading the Ensign with no glasses or contacts...he even read me a few lines as proof. Saying goodbye to him two Sundays ago was no different then are usual partings....He gave me a close hug where I felt his whiskers on my face, kissed my cheek, and said, while looking at me and still holding my hands, "sure do love you."
Grandpas passing is bittersweet. I will miss seeing him, but 30 something years ago he lost his beloved wife Betty to a car accident and I know their reunion has been long awaited. Grandpa Ray left quite the legacy and leaves, for a time, 11 children and countless grandchildren and great grandchildren. I am so happy to be numbered among the Ellsworth & Betty Ann Ray family. Love you Grandpa.

6 comments:

Cara said...

Such a neat post. So great that you were able to get him pictured with Kurt. You come from a great family.

Melissa said...

ok this post made me cry... Thank you for sharing.

Weedpatch said...

So sweet Melanie. I loved it. Those are great memories.

Anonymous said...

Oh, such a sweet post about your grandpa. He seems like a wonderful man. Sorry to hear about his passing. I'm sure he is so happy to be with his wife again. Hope to see you soon Mel!

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

This is such a great post! What treasures those pictures will be. Glad he is reunited with his wife again!

The Clarks said...

I am so sorry to hear that he passed away mel! So sweet to think of him and your grandma being reunited though:) love ya!